The Faculty of Science has adopted the following broad definitions of honours grades:
- Honours H1 (80% to 100%): awarded to outstanding students with high-level performance over the whole honours course and who have shown a capacity for independent work particularly in the dissertation. Normally one would expect such students to have achieved results at a high level throughout their undergraduate courses.
- Honours 2A (70% to 79%): awarded to students who show a high level of competence in the major components of the honours course.
- Honours 2B (60% to 69%): awarded to students who show a competence in significant portion of the honours course but may have a substantial area of weakness.
- Honours H3 (50% to 59%): awarded to students who demonstrate only a minimal acceptable level of achievement in the honours year.
- Fail (less than 50%): The student has failed to demonstrate competence in the major part of the honours course.